From war to college

After finishing a year in Iraq I'm finally going to start college at the University of Missouri - Columbia. I've been accepted to start college in January. I so enjoyed doing my blog from Baghdad that I really wanted to do a new one for college. I hope you enjoy it...I think it's going to be an interesting four years!

Sunday, January 14, 2007

The first of many mistakes

All right...a lot has happened since I last posted. I have since readjusted to normal life, become a total bum for the last couple months and become a bit of a jet setter. Southwest.com has been hooking it up on $50 fares! I've travelled back and forth between home in Missouri and visiting my wonderful boyfriend in Colorado. I have definitely been making the most of my time before college! Rick took me snowmobiling for the first time(so awesome!), to a hockey game (the Avalanche won!), and to the best New Years party at his dad's. This has been more than I ever hoped for my 3 months in between Iraq and school.

But, alas, reality had to set in eventually and I had to buckle down and get ready for school on Tuesday. I was stupid and didn't sign up for the first Winter Welcome so when it came time to sit down with an advisor and pick classes I realized what slim pickings an incoming freshman has. I expected to have all sorts of math and science type classes...I didn't get those but I think I got even better! I got an intriguing sounding Ethics class: Social Deviance. I totally dig the idea of this class, I think I'll like it. I also have an English class that will introduce me to a bunch of literature I've been meaning to read anyway. Things happen for a reason...I wanted to see Rick so I missed the first Winter registration but I think I will like these classes more anyway.

I got a good dose of duh the other day trying to buy schoolbooks. I went to the bookstore a week before classes start and priced out all the used books then went online that night to see if I could beat the prices. Within 3 hours when I went back to make the purchases they were almost all sold out! I bought the last 2 that were still better priced than the bookstore which were a great buy! If you need books check out www.bradsbooks.com cause they were awesome. I saved $50 on the 2 books and they arrived in great condition within 3 days, I was floored. Anyway, I went back to the University bookstore to buy the others and found that almost all their used copies were gone as well! I didn't have enough time to order them online by that point so I had to buy new...suckee. Oh well, I learned the hard way and I'll remember next semester for sure. And I have all my books (yay!) and have already started reading the preface in each. Can you tell I'm a little excited to start school? Anyway, keep your fingers crossed for me, I start Tuesday and will blog again to let you know how it goes!!

1 Comments:

  • At 7:58 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hey,
    Not sure if you remember me, I was in the 70th MPAD with you for about a year in 2001.....believe it or not, was doing research on a BBC website and ran across your name....I thought "wait!...That name sounds familliar" found your blog, and yep, it's you....good luck in school, gimme a holler, I'd love to chat. I have my own Radio station now in Madison, WI......
    Matt Beardsley
    mbeardsley@relevantradio.com
    mjbeardsley@hotmail.com

     

Post a Comment

<< Home